Edema is a condition characterized by excess fluid trapped in your body's tissues. The swelling can occur and affect any part of body. It can be especially seen in hands, arms, feet, ankles and legs. Bumex is favoured by doctors to treat the condition.
Symptoms are observed as the fluid builds up in the body’s tissue and they are listed as following:
- Swelling, tightness, and pain in your legs or arms
- Stretched or shiny skin
- Skin gets a dimple (pits) when pressed for few seconds
- Abdominal size is increased
- Difficulty in breathing and chest pain
There are many types of edema like peripheral edema, pulmonary edema, cerebral edema, macular edema. It depends on your underlying medical condition and other reasons.
There are several medical conditions, some medications, lifestyle habits listed below that mainly causes and increases the risk factor for getting edema:
- Congestive heart failure
- Head injury, Brain tumour/stroke
- Liver cirrhosis
- Kidney disease/damage
- Vein damage (deep vein thrombosis, or DVT)
- Inadequate lymphatic system
- Severe, long-term protein deficiency
- Sitting or staying in one position for long period
- Eating or drinking too much salty product
- Being pregnant and menstruation related problems
- Drugs like steroid, oestrogens, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, thiazolidinediones
- Drugs used for High blood pressure, diabetes
If left untreated and ignored it can lead to various complications. Some of these are listed as below:
- Increased risk of ulcers and infectious sores
- Difficulty and stiffness in walking
- Blood circulation decreases
- Elasticity of arteries, veins, joints and muscles is lost
You must consult your physician and treat your medical condition to avoid further damage.
Action Mechanism of bumetanide (Bumex)
Bumetanide is of the sulfamyl category under loop diuretic. It was approved for use by the FDA in 1983. It is completely absorbed upon consumption. The action mechanism is performed in the kidney. It is achieved by interfering with the renal cyclic AMP effectively.
This leads to the inhibition of the sodium-potassium ATPase pump. This prevents the active retention of chloride and sodium in the ascending loop of Henle. This process also alters electrolyte transfer in the proximal tubule. This basically results in excretion of sodium, chloride, and water which leads to increase in urine output causing diuresis effect. This medicine is also referred as water pill.
This medication must be taken only with the physician’s recommendation.
Benefits of bumetanide (Bumex)
There are significant uses of Bumex and they are listed as below:
- Edema related to kidney damage, liver cirrhosis
- Fluid accumulation in the lungs due to chronic heart failure
- High blood pressure
The potent effect of bumetanide causes profound increase in urine output which ultimately eases the symptoms such as shortness of breath and swelling in your arms, legs, and abdomen.
The medication should only be consumed with the doctor’s prescription.
Dosage and storage of bumetanide (Bumex)
Bumex is taken orally and there are various formulations and dosages available. At BuyUrMed, following formulations and strengths are available:
Take it exactly as per your doctor instruction.
- Store bumetanide at 15°C - 30°C (59°F - 86°F)
- Protect from heat, direct light and moisture.
- Check for expiration date on bumex tablets.
- Store it away the sight and reach of pets and children.
- Dispose the medicine as per the instruction provided on the package.
Precautions while taking bumetanide (Bumex)
- Inform your doctor if you are allergic to any active or inactive component of bumex tablets.
- Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you ever had kidney problems, liver problems, gout or inability to make urine.
- It is not recommended to take this medication along with other diuretics such as lithium, Indomethacin (Indocin), anti-inflammatory drugs Ibuprofen (Motrin) or Naproxen (Naprosyn) and aminoglycosides.
- Before undergoing any surgery, it is essential that you inform your doctor or dentist about it.
- Your doctor may instruct you to add potassium-rich foods to your diet because this may reduce the potassium level in your blood.
- Do not drink alcohol and avoid marijuana as it may cause drowsiness or dizziness.
- Elderly adults may be more sensitive to the effects of bumex tablets, especially dizziness and water/mineral loss.
- Monitor closely old patient while using this medication as they are more sensitive to its effect.
- Consult with your physician if you are a nursing mother or pregnant. It should be used only when necessary and with the doctor’s recommendation.
Side Effects of bumetanide (Bumex)
There are various side-effects of this medication. Some of the common side effects include the following:
- Abdominal pain
- Dry mouth
- Weight loss
In addition to the above, there are at times some adverse side-effects that have also been reported by people. These are listed as below:
- Serious loss of body water (dehydration)
- Heart arrhythmias
- Reduced kidney function
- Breathing problem
- Serious allergic reaction like rash, itching, swelling, dry skin, hives
This list does not include all the side effects and if you experience any aggravated reaction, you must contact your doctor immediately or rush to the nearest emergency unit.